Friday, October 19, 2018

Sunday Morning Suns

I finally got my Sunday Morning suns together into a quilt. You may remember how I made these suns as part of a challenge to do 8" square blocks, following prompts from my fiber group. There were prompts such as using a grid, using metallic, use something you've never used before, make something abstract, etc.

I had a lot of fun making my suns and sent photos of eight of them to the CBS Sunday Morning show. The person in charge said that she loved them, but so far they have only used one, the grid one on the lower left corner of the quilt. I am going to send the picture of the whole quilt to them. We'll see how that goes.




Quilting it was a challenge. First I just stitched in the ditch on all the seams holding it together. I did that on my Bernina. It needed much more to keep the suns from sagging. I then used my Sweet Sixteen which allowed me to keep the quilt mostly flat, important because of that metal one in the upper right hand corner. I quilted around each sun, echoing the shapes. Then it was back to my Bernina to do some more with the walking foot, again to keep the faces from sagging (we certainly don't want sagging faces!)


Here you can see how I did the free-motion echo quilting. The concentric circles were done with the walking foot


This one done the same way.




This one was my big problem. With all the maneuvering I had to do to with the walking-foot stitching on the Bernina, the metal rays kept bending up and down. I didn't know how much bending they would allow before breaking. Maybe I'm a slow learner, but 90% of the way through I decided to tape those rays down with making tape. Much better!



A good quilting friend showed me how to do this piped binding. It really is magical and calls for no hand sewing. I also like that little extra pop of color. Thank you, Barbara! And here you can see how I quilted the border with free-motion suns and stars. That was fun to do on my Sweet Sixteen.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday. Go see what some talented artists are up to.


6 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Norma....this piece is masterful......I do read your blog and am always delighted to see the various directions you tackle with complete success. I certainly hope CBS takes the opportunity to feature each and every block....and naturally round it up by sharing the whole piece with the background story.

Your quilting is daunting to me since I'm not that much of a machine quilter. The motif choices are so just right....I would have had to hand quilt them to add that variety.....esp. the happy and oh so appropriate border pattern.

It's really a special piece, where obviously lots of thought and fun went into making it!! Embellishment has always been near and dear to me, even though I've done very little of it lately. (Oddly, it doesn't seem to sell well here....or else I'm not in the right venues!!

Linda M said...

It looks wonderful all together, and the quilting is perfect. I agree with Mary, you are giving CBS a perfect opportunity for a story.

DonnaleeQ said...

Your sun quilt is wonderful. You are a very talented quilter for sure. I have put you on my blog list.

Christine Staver said...

Boy, Norma, this is some challenge. The suns are amazing. You were very creative with each one. Plus how you quilted around them is outstanding. I think the bottom line is you took a challenge and created a great design from it.
Chris

Sarah said...

I've seen your past posts with your various suns and seeing them together as a quilt is amazing. They sit together well and your quilting is so clever and well worth a mention I would have thought on the Sunday morning programme!

Unknown said...

Is there anyone out there that could make me one?