I can no longer enter quilts into the competition since I am considered a professional because of my few sales here and there, so,I decided to make silk shibori scarves. I had purchased a pretty one last year at the Brookfield Craft Center and I had done a fair amount of shibori dyeing with good success, but I had never done it with silk.
This is the scarf I purchased last year. I liked its neutral color and have worn it quite a bit because it seems to go with a lot . It was my inspiration. I had a hard time deciding what color to use for the initial pole wrap shibori and eventually chose olive green, a color I had used before in cotton dyeing and had liked and I thought it would be neutral. I did not want to try and copy this scarf. I wish I had taken a picture before I over-dyed it, but it was quite ugly. The color separated into a yucky orange and green. To make maters worse, I dyed three scarves in the same color. What was I thinking?
What color should I use for the Itajime part where sections of the scarf are clamped and then dipped into another color? I chose chocolate brown with a little black added. I wanted a rich, dark color as in the one I had purchased. Instead I got this wishy-washy brown and the color migrated into the squares. When I had done Itajime on cotton the blocked areas stayed the original color. I used different circles on the other two and they are equally ugly. Maybe if I backed them with a fusible I could use them in an art quilt if I did a lot of stamping on top. Maybe.... Or maybe I could dye them black and use discharge paste or bleach to do a pole wrap shibori again. Maybe.....
Sooooooo, I made two more, this time using colors I like and was rather pleased with the results. I gave a lot of thought as to the color I should use for the over-dyeing and decided on a navy blue for the chartreuse. I had used navy before on cotton and it is a rich dark navy.
And this is what happened. The navy is very purpley and migrated into the squares. Not too horrible, but not at all what I had in mind. After this I decided to keep the turquoise shibori just the way it is and call this a lesson learned that silk dyeing is not the same as cotton and get on to another kind of scarf, this time totally different.
I think this one is a winner. I sewed strips cut from silk men's ties onto a lightweight cotton foundation and then backed it with fleece. It is quite attractive on, with the pretty silks facing out and the warm fleece against the neck. It should look good with my white down jacket.
All scarves are about 7" x 54". I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.